The writings of Eriq Nelson, ranging from poetry to prose to Extremely Bad Ideas and short stories.

11 March, 2008

Nujabes/Force of Nature: Samurai Champloo Soundtrack, Impressions

I am constantly impressed with the evolution of anime scoring in my lifetime, watching it migrate from classical cues mixed with J-Pop to this hybrid of incredible depth and innovation. Don't get me wrong, Samurai Champloo isn't the first anime TV series to blow my face off with it's scoring (Cowboy Bebop wins that honor), but it is the latest and greatest.

Impression sways between the spectral and the concrete with ease, leading you down the road without feeling forced. It makes you nod your head, which is what good hip-hop should always start with, then it starts to tickle your soul which is where great hip-hop begins. In my collection it plays well with Blockhead, DJ Shadow, Harmonic 33 and Cut Chemist.

Good for: Driving down the road feeling bad-ass in your Honda.

No comments: