The writings of Eriq Nelson, ranging from poetry to prose to Extremely Bad Ideas and short stories.

29 March, 2008

Fleet Foxes: Sun Giant EP

If we were a tribe in a Zach Braff's head, this is what we'd be playing every night around the fire. There's this other worldly thing floating around Fleet Foxes, like the monsters from under your bed have all come out to join the band. I'm standing in a field watching a faerie tale evolve in front of my eyes and I cannot move. Fleet Foxes play what they describe as baroque harmonic pop, but I think it sounds like the Doors have come floating down through the ages to sit in on a Decemberists session and play the tambourine.

There is this amazing vocal harmony work running throughout the album and other passages that hit a simplicity that I really only find in traditional bluegrass and the like. This EP is their second and I'm really looking forward to going back to their self titled EP and being just as mesmerized by these shining strands of hope and loss that they call songs.

This EP is glittering in my mind with TV on the Radio, The Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene and Neutral Milk Hotel.

Good for: Watching birds dance high above the tree lines, smoking a pipe and thinking it might rain.

I don't normally do this, but they don't have anything on Last.fm.
You can hear a few tracks on Myspace.com

No comments: