The writings of Eriq Nelson, ranging from poetry to prose to Extremely Bad Ideas and short stories.

04 April, 2008

Angelo Badalamenti: Twin Peaks Season One OST

Twin Peaks was a romp through the dark and twisted paths that follow David Lynch wherever he goes and the score reflects that. It is a ghost of a score, touching down for only a moment in your mind and then floating off on a breeze. I'm pulling into a parking lot just this side of the state border. 6 am, no one here but I need gas and more smokes.

Where the hell am I? The interstate signs said there'd be a rest stop and store somewhere around here, but I can't see a damn thing. I feel the sunlight whisper through the branches of this autumn day as I start walking towards the abandoned roller coaster just on the other side of this run down building, I think it's a restaurant.

Flashes of something following me down into a stream bed and staying just out of my sight. Son of a bitch! I head back to the car, watching the edges of my vision and cram the keys into the door as fast as I can. I point the nose back towards the interstate entrance and stuff my toes into the floorboard.

Fuck! Weird little place, no wonder it wasn't on this map I picked up. No one ever comes back. I wonder how these places come to be...... I keep a close watch on this album while it plots with Chet Baker, Akira Yamaoka, and The Black Heart Procession.

Good for: Setting up detective fiction in your local coffee shop, making everyone suspicious as hell.

Listen to Nightingale on Last.fm!

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Goddamn this was one strange television show. The Badalamenti score is a beautiful and frightening thing.