The writings of Eriq Nelson, ranging from poetry to prose to Extremely Bad Ideas and short stories.

29 January, 2009

Poetry: I am not your lover

I bet you thought you had a lover then
the two of us snuggled up against the teat of military spending
sucking down the milk of suffering and death

Until I took off all my clothes
and my teeth started coming out of the walls

Until my skin started wearing too thin
and the wool over my eyes evaporated
in a burst of flames

I almost let it slide this time
I almost believed in it all
that the shiny new toys of the 21st century could make me happy
that a cage so gilded, so covered with flashing lights
could ever contain a wolf
that any man would ever be happy in his golden shackles

that the tiny rebellion
of an iPod full of punk rock
will sing my soul to sleep
or make me shut my fucking mouth

I have been bleeding my soul onto Interstate 95 too long
I send these white blood cells up the concrete
riding on waves of cancerous clouds
the irony of this does not escape me
that this system needs it's repairs so bad that it will sacrifice anything
to keep it moving

I am wired into this sleepless monolith
of recorded conversations and cost-benefit analyses
that never looks at the costs in anything other than dollars
information never takes a break to watch the sunset
24 hour caffeine buzz burns mindless droning sounds
across the wires that replace the trees

I can almost fall asleep
I can sometimes ignore the pain
of this wire jammed up my ass

but as ashamed as I'm told to be
about my anger
that no evolved man is angry
That we talk about our feelings
and we work it out
I can't let it go

There are words burned a thousand feet tall in my heart
YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT
YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT
YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT

And I am not your fucking lover.

No comments: